Tips Is Your Family Prepared For Spring Storm Season?
As we all know, spring storms can wreak havoc in our communities, bringing with them lightning, heavy rain, and high winds. In some cases, this can lead to flooding and power outages. The good news is that with a little preparation, you’ll be equipped to weather spring storms more successfully:
- Remember, a lightning bolt can carry billions of watts of electricity. If a strike would occur near your home, its powerful surge could damage your electronics and potentially injure you. To reduce your risk, unplug your computers, televisions, modems, and other before bad weather hits.
- It’s a smart idea to back up your computer files to online storage or a remote site. That way, if flooding or a tornado happens at your home and your hard drive is damaged, your data will still be safe and accessible.
- The American Red Cross recommends you create an emergency preparedness kit for your family. At minimum, this kit should contain first aid items, a battery-powered flashlight and radio, extra batteries, food, water, and basic toiletry items.
- Stay up to date on weather reports, and know the difference between different weather alerts (such as watches and warnings) and what actions to take in each case.
- Make sure your home has a corded landline phone that will continue to work even if the power goes out. Cordless phones require power to operate, and cellular systems and towers are not required to provide backup power, so cell phones may not operate during a power outage either.
SKT wants you to stay safe this season. For information about landline phone service, call 888.758.8976.
SKT News Related NewsVisit Newsroom
COVID-19 July 30 UpdateView Article
UPDATED! Financial Hardship Due to COVID-19? Get H...View Article
Free Wi-Fi Hotspot Drive-Up Locations for Students...View Article
Burden and SKT – Early Histories in Three PartsView Article
Top Seven Mobile Payment OptionsView Article
Events & Community Involvement
11th Annual Pasture Golf Tournament Another Succe...View Article