News It’s Flag Day Here In The United States Of America
The American flag has many nicknames, including “old glory,” “star-spangled banner,” “red, white and blue,” and “stars and stripes.”
Just for review, here are some FLAG ETIQUETTE DOS:
- According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the flag can be displayed at all times so long as it’s illuminated when it’s dark outside.
- It can be displayed often, but especially on national and state holidays and during special occasions.
- It should be displayed on or near the main building of public institutions, schools during school days, and polling places on election days.
- The flag should be “hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.”
- The flag should be carried either on the marching right (the flag’s right) or to the front and center of the flag line.
- When the flag is displayed other than from a staff, it should be “flat or suspended so that its folds fall free.”
- When flags of states, cities, or organizations are flown on the same staff, the U.S. flag must be at the top.
… and here are some FLAG ETIQUETTE DONTS:
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs says that people should not use the flag as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
- Don’t affix anything to the flag or mark it with any type of insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing.
- Don’t use it as part of a costume or athletic uniform. A flag patch is OK to use on the uniforms for military personnel, firemen and policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.
- Don’t use it for any type of advertising — including printing on anything intended to be discarded like handkerchiefs, napkins, or boxes.
- Don’t turn the flag upside down — the flag is only turned upside down as a distress signal.
- Don’t use it to drape or cover anything.
- Don’t display the flag during rain, snow, and wind storms.
Have a great day — from your friends and neighbors at SKT!
SKT News Related NewsVisit Newsroom
COVID-19 UpdateView Article
Free Wi-Fi Hotspot Drive-Up Locations for Students...View Article
SKT Office Temporarily Closed to PublicView Article
Get Your Fix: Local EatsView Article
Dragging Main is Back in StyleView Article
New Farm & Garden Supply Store Gives Shoppers...View Article